It shattered about 30-50km (18-32 miles) above the ground, releasing several kilotons of energy, the Russian Academy of Sciences said.
What does kton stand for?
kton stands for Kiloton (energy released in exploding 1000 US tons of TNT)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Kommunale Tjenestemænd og Overenskomstansatte (Danish: Municipal Officials and Employees Agreement)
- Konto (German: Account)
- Korea Tourism Organization
- Korean Theater of Operations
- Kuwaiti Theater of Operations
- Korea Telecommunications Operators Association (Seoul, Korea)
- Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders, Inc.
- Kilotonne of Oil Equivalent
- Kel-Tec Owners Group (website)
- Kootenai Tribe of Idaho
- Knights of the Old Republic (Star Wars)
- Kentucky Treatment Outcomes Study
- Kingston Theatre Organ Society (Ontario, Canada)
- Kirkwood Training and Outreach Services (Iowa)
- Knights of the Order of the Star
- Know the Original Song
- Kindergarten Teachers of Texas
- Institut für Kunststofftechnik (Institute of Plastics Engineering, Universität Paderborn)
- Kaj Tiel Plu (Esperanto: Et Cetera)
- Kartu Tanda Penduduk (Indonesian ID card)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945 released an estimated 15 kilotons of energy.
By comparison, US nuclear bombs that flattened Nagasaki and Hiroshima during the Second World War were estimated at 13 kilotons and 22 kilotons.
The Dow Chemical Company has increased its propylene glycol (PG) capacity by an additional 10 kilotons per annum (KTA) at its plant in Stade, Germany.