TROOPS from the US raised the Stars and Stripes over Iwo Jima four days after landing on the Japanese-held volcanic island.
What does IWO stand for?
IWO stands for Iwo Jima
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of IWO
We have 23 other meanings of IWO in our Acronym Attic
- Inland Waterway Operation
- Institution of Water Officers (UK)
- Intelligence Watch Officer
- Inter-Company Work Orders
- Interagency Work Order
- Interim Waste Operations
- Internal Work Order
- International Workcamp Organization (Seoul, South Korea)
- International Workers Order (1930-39)
- Irish Weather Online (Ireland)
- Insurance Women of Akron (Akron, OH)
- International Wildlife Officers Association
- International Workshop on Bioinformatics
- Ignace-White Otter Country (Canada)
- Immanuel World Outreach Center (Philippines)
- Impreza Web Owners Club (car club; UK)
- Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee
- Independent Writers of Chicago
- International Wheel of Colour Association (UK)
- International Wizard of Oz Club
Samples in periodicals archive:
Similarly, 1,191 fighter escorts and 3,081 strike sorties were flown from Iwo Jima against Japan.
Summary: Around 2,100 sailors, US Marine Corps, US Navy commanders and other onboard crew members participated along with representatives from the Royal Saudi Navy and the Foreign Affairs Ministry in the official reception of American amphibious assault ship "USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7)," which docked at Jeddah Islamic Port on Tuesday.
FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS CH4,9pm Clint Eastwood's film takes as its theme the bloody battle for the Pacific island of Iwo Jima during World War II.
For many on board the USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7), serving on this ship is more than just fulfilling a sea tour obligation.
Eight F/A-18Cs and two KC-130 aircraft launched from Kadena AFB, Okinawa, and headed to Iwo Jima.