In analysis of patients with a single risk factor for hepatitis C, intranasal cocaine use, non-combat occupational exposure, surgery, transfusion, intravenous drug abuse (IVDA) and sex with a prostitute were identified, Dr Waters elaborated.
What does IVDA stand for?
IVDA stands for Intravenous Drug Abuse (medical)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of IVDA
We have 2 other meanings of IVDA in our Acronym Attic
- International Volunteer Day (United Nations)
- Intervertebral Disc
- Intervertebral Disc Disease (canines)
- Intra Vas Device (male contraceptive)
- Intravenous Drip (medicine)
- Ion Vapor Deposition
- Ischemic Vascular Disease
- Inland Valley Development Agency (California; est. 1990)
- Inter Varsity Dance Association (UK)
- International Voice & Data Association
- In Vitro Diagnostic Advisory Committee
- In Vehicle Data Acquisition System
- Inland Valley Daily Bulletin (Ontario, CA)
- Institute on Violence and Destructive Behavior (University of Oregon; Eugene, OR)
- Internet Vehicle Database
- Inner Vision Development Corp. (est. 2001; Knoxville, TN)
- Institute of Veterinary Drug Control (China; est. 1952)
- Inter-Varsity Dance Competition (UK)
- Interactive Vehicle Dynamic Control
- International Vacuum Devices Conference
Samples in periodicals archive:
A 25-year-old male with history of intravenous drug abuse was referred to us for failure of clinical and bacteriological improvement despite 10 days of aggressive treatment for community acquired staphylococcal pneumonia.
5,6) Cervical epidural abscess without predisposing factors have been reported before (7), however, previous case series (4) have shown that the development of spinal abscess is predisposed by risk factors such as intravenous drug abuse, nonspinal infection (cellulitis, furuncles, retropharyngeal or psoas abscess and endocarditis); diabetes mellitus, chronic alcoholism, recent spinal or epidural procedures, recent spinal trauma, HIV infection, and chronic steroid use.
In Mr McDermottroe's case, intravenous drug abuse would not have helped.
On the "home front," massive education is needed: "It's an honest if indelicate statement to point out that most AIDS would be prevented if new and multiple partners used a condom; up to a third of HIV comes from intravenous drug abuse.
She said increasingly risky patterns of behaviour compounded the situation, such as unprotected sex and intravenous drug abuse.
To be sure, the drop-box program addresses only a symptom of intravenous drug abuse - a social, medical and law enforcement puzzle of daunting complexity.
The risk factors associated with Stenotrophomonas maltophilia endocarditis include intravenous drug abuse, dental treatment, previous cardiac surgery, and infected intravascular devices (1, 3, 8).