And the change this time was due in good part to an Indian Ocean tsunami warning system put in place since that catastrophe.
What does IOTWS stand for?
IOTWS stands for Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
- Intuitively Obvious To the Most Casual Observer
- Indian Ocean Tuna Tagging Program
- Improved Outer Tactical Vest
- Interoffice Transfer Voucher
- I Own The World (website)
- Image of the Week
- Info on the Web (Louisville, CO)
- Insulator of the Week (forum)
- Islands on the Web (website; Radio Society of Great Britain)
- Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning Center
Samples in periodicals archive:
In short, the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System, established in 2006, passed its biggest test yet.
SYSTEM ACTIVATED IN JUNE 2006 Made up of seismographic stations and deep-ocean sensors, the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System was activated in June 2006 after being agreed 17 months earlier at a United Nations conference in Japan.
The first meeting, held in March at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, convened 270 experts from 45 countries to share technical information and to plan implementation of the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System.
It will be one of the first regional warning systems and will join the planned network of national systems which collectively will form the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System