But prolonged droughts are robustly tied to Indian Ocean Dipole temperature patterns that don't bring rain to western and southeastern Australia for a decade or more, Ummenhofer said.
What does IOD stand for?
IOD stands for Indian Ocean Dipole (climate mode)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of IOD
We have 51 other meanings of IOD in our Acronym Attic
- International Old Catholic Youth
- Identified Outward Dialing
- Ignition Off-Draw (automotive)
- Illustrated Oxford Dictionary
- Image on Demand
- Image Online Design, Inc.
- Images of Disability (UK)
- In-Order Delivery (computing)
- Index of Deprivation
- Index of Distribution
Samples in periodicals archive:
2) Indian Ocean Forecast: A weak Indian Ocean dipole mode will develop in the early summer and peak in the autumn.
The three other dogs represent the Indian Ocean Dipole (Indy), the Southern Annular Mode (Sam), and the Sub-tropical Ridge (Ridgy).
Byline: ANI Washington, January 3 (ANI): In a new research, a team of scientists has determined that the Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD), an oscillation of sea surface temperatures in the Indian Ocean, is occurring more frequently because of global warming.
During a "positive" Indian Ocean Dipole event, warm waters in the east spread toward the west, somewhat as in an El Nino.
Models must also summon forth the so-called Indian Ocean Dipole, which has a similar pattern to ENSO events, but its own phase.