One of the two patients mentioned had the ranitidine replaced with pantoprazole by our gastroenterological colleagues, who after endoscopic confirmation of ulceration advised us that our prophylaxis regimen was outdated and that proton pump inhibitors (PPI) should replace histamine-2 receptor antagonists (H2RA).
What does H-2 stand for?
H-2 stands for Histamine-2 Receptor
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of H-2
We have 12 other meanings of H-2 in our Acronym Attic
- Harland and Wolff
- Havant & Waterlooville FC (UK)
- Health and Welfare
- Intermittent Hypertropia at Distance (ophthalmology)
- Intermittent Hypertropia at Near (ophthalmology)
- Homestar Runner (homestarrunner.com)
- Hydrogen Ion Balance
- Hematoxylin and Eosin Stain (microbiology)
- Health and Hygiene
- Hand and Target
- Histocompatibility-2 Antigen
- Hsr Chromosome 2
- Histone Class 3 (antibody)
- Hippocampo-Amygdaloid Responses
- Hippocampus and Amygdala (limbric system)
- Hypophysectomized and Adrenalectomized (antiduretic term)
- Host-Automated Message Interface
- Human Aldose Reductase
- Hexadecimal to Binary
- Horizontal Bell Laboratories Layered Space-Time Architecture
Samples in periodicals archive:
Patients admitted to hospitals for medical conditions are very frequently placed on acid-suppression medications such as proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec, Zegerid, Nexium, Protonix) or histamine-2 receptor blockers (Tagemet, Zantac).
One audience member observed that some patients with hiatal hernia never receive the formal diagnosis, but instead are told they have reflux and put on a histamine-2 receptor blocker.