Up until now, scientists believed that a particular form of synaptic plasticity in the brain's hippocampus was responsible for learning spatial relations.
What does HC stand for?
HC stands for Hippocampus
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of HC
We have 109 other meanings of HC in our Acronym Attic
- High Confidence
- High Containment (biological hazard laboratories)
- High Council (LDS church)
- High Coupling
- High Court
- High Cube (shipping container)
- High-Speed CMOS (family of logic integrated circuits)
- Highway Contract (rural route post office addressing)
- Hillsdale College (Hillsdale, Michigan)
- Historical Committee
- Historical Cost (accounting)
- History Channel (TV)
- History of the Church (Joseph Smith)
- Hitachi Capital (Japan)
- Hitman: Contracts (video game)
- Hiwassee College (Madisonville, TN)
- Hockey Canada (formerly Canadian Hockey Association)
- Hoffmantown Church (Albuquerque, NM)
- Hog Cholera (classical swine fever)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Genetic variants of hippocampus study The gene variants identified in the first study do not cause Alzheimer's, but they may rob the hippocampus of a kind of "reserve" against the disease, which is known to cause cell destruction and dramatic shrinkage of this key brain site.
In otherwise healthy adults the hippocampus shrinks by about 1 to 2 percent a year, and the decrease is even more rapid among people with dementia.
The density of nerve cells and of silver-gold impregnated fibres were evaluated in the hippocampus and in the cerebellar cortex in adult (12-month-old) and old (24-month-old) Sprague-Dawley rats.
Studies have emphasized the role of the hippocampus in learning and different kinds of memory.
Clearing old memories from the hippocampus makes way for new learning, researchers from Japan suggest in the Nov.
However, in patients with severe depression, both the size of the hippocampus and its neurogenic ability appear to be reduced, explained Dr.