But these galaxies, members of Hickson Compact Group 31, are relatively nearby, only 166 million light-years away.
What does HCG stand for?
HCG stands for Hickson Compact Group (galaxies)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of HCG
We have 245 other meanings of HCG in our Acronym Attic
- Hagedorn Center for Geriatrics (New Jersey)
- Harbinger Consulting Group (Ham Lake, MN)
- Hard Copy Generator
- Hardcore Gamer
- Harman Consumer Group (various locations)
- Hartford Computer Group, Inc.
- Hazard County Girls (band)
- Health Care Guide
- HealthCare Communications Group (clinical trials; El Segundo, CA)
- Hentai Computer Graphics
Samples in periodicals archive:
The three pictured galaxies - NGC 7173, NCG 7174 and NGC 7176 - are part of the Hickson Compact Group 90, named after astronomer Paul Hickson, who first catalogued these small clusters of galaxies in the 1980s.