The whale watching program began in 1978 when Don Giles of the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport thought up the idea as two co-workers were counting migrating gray whales pass the Yaquina Head Lighthouse.
What does HMSC stand for?
HMSC stands for Hatfield Marine Science Center (Oregon State University)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of HMSC
We have 15 other meanings of HMSC in our Acronym Attic
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Hypermobility Syndrome Association
- Seaman Apprentice, Hospital Corpsman Striker (USN/USNR Rating)
- Health Management Strategic Advisory Council
- Hatch Mounted Satellite Antenna Systems
- Her Majesty's South African Ship
- Highly Migratory Species Advisory Subpanel
- Humanities, Management, Social and Applied Sciences (Edge Hill University; UK)
- Hazardous Materials Safety Assistance Team
- Harris-Moran Seed Company
- Health & Medical Sciences Conference
- Health Management System Collaborative (New Zealand)
- High-Level Message Sequence Chart
- His Majesty's Sagbutts and Cornetts (UK)
- Hitman Sniper Challenge (game)
- Home Mobile Switching Center
- Hughes Missile Systems Company
- Human Marrow Stromal Cell
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell
- Human Movement Science (university courses)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Scientists from Oregon State University's Hatfield Marine Science Center confirmed the presence of dozens of species native to Japanese coastal waters--including barnacles, starfish, urchins, anemones, amphipods, worms, mussels, limpets, snails, solitary tunicates and algae--that were on a large floating dock in Japan that washed ashore at Agate Beach near Newport, Oregon in June 2012.
On five expeditions, "we have seen some smoking guns," said oceanographer Robert Dziak, who monitors offshore activity from his laboratory at the Hatfield Marine Science Center at Oregon State University.
NOAA and Hatfield Marine Science Center Day Trip, Newport - Tour the new National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration facility and museum and the Hatfield Center; lunch at Brewer's on the Bay.
Boehlert, an oceanographer at the Oregon State University Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport.
The short answer: "We don't know," says John Chapman, an invasive species expert at Oregon State University's Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport.
Chapman of Oregon State University's Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport: How often do these inadvertently transplanted species actually gain a toehold in foreign harbors and estuaries?