Airlines have been split on whether to go with a ground-based system or with satellite-based systems.
What does GBS stand for?
GBS stands for Ground-Based System
This definition appears somewhat frequently
See other definitions of GBS
We have 180 other meanings of GBS in our Acronym Attic
- Green Business School (HAS Den Bosch University, Netherlands)
- Grenoble Bâtiment Services (French: Grenoble Building Services)
- Griffith Business School (Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland, Australia)
- Gros Bon Sens (French)
- Gross Budgetary Support
- Ground Based Sensor
- Ground Based Software (aviation)
- Ground Based Station
- Ground Beacon System
- Grounding, Bonding, Shielding
- Group B Shipments (exports)
- Group B Streptococcus (medical)
- Group Battle Staff
- Group Benefit Services, Inc (Hunt Valley, Maryland)
- Group Broadband Scheme (Ireland)
- Groupe Boyer Sécurité (French: Boyer Security Group)
- Grow Business Solutions (North Sydney, NSW, Australia)
- Guaranteed Bandwidth Scheduler
- Guaranteed Bandwidth Service
Samples in periodicals archive:
The new system would complement the ground-based system with real-time surveillance of aircraft in remote or oceanic areas independent of radar or infrequent position reporting by voice or ACARS data messaging over satellite or ground links.
A possible cause of the crash however could be the failure of ground-based systems to guide the plane in to landing, the deputy head of the inter-state air commission (MAK) which investigates air accidents in the ex-USSR, Alexei Morozov, told the ITAR-TASS news agency.
A ground-based system of radars or other sensors peering up at the UAV and the airspace surrounding it could help escort a pilot-less aircraft to its destination, said Viva Austin, product director for unmanned systems airspace integration concepts at the Army aviation bureau.
2003): --significant limitations of existent direct visibility systems related to low level of radio signal transmission; --difficulties connected with implementation of CNS/ATM systems and proper operation of these systems in many regions of the world; --lack of multimedia traffic transmission system (voice, video, text) within air-to-ground digital data exchange that provides integral automated control system (IACS) operation as the single airborne and ground-based systems complex.