Later, in 1974, Greece attempted a military coup in conjunction with the Greek Cypriot National Guard in a bid to achieve Enosis (union with Greece).
What does GCNG stand for?
GCNG stands for Greek Cypriot National Guard
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Génie Civil Nord Caraïbe (French: North Caribbean Engineering)
- Global Change National Committee (National University of Mongolia)
- Golden Crescent Nature Club (Texas)
- Groupe Compétition de la Noble Contrée (French: Competition Group Noble Opposed; Switzerland)
- Grameen Certified Network Engineer
- Greater Cincinnati Numismatic Exposition
- Greater Cincinnati Nurse Executives (Cincinnati, OH)
- Germ Cell Nuclear Factor (molecular biology)
- Global Child Nutrition Foundation (National Harbor, MD)
- Groupement des Concessionnaires Nissan France (French: France Nissan Dealers Grouping)
- Graduate Certificate in Nursing-General Practice
- Ghana Coalition of NGOs (Non Govermental Organizations) in Health (Ghana)
- Glen Canyon Natural History Association (Page, AZ)
- Global Christian Network, Inc.
- Garden Club of New Jersey
- Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky (region)
- Greater Cincinnati Northern Kentucky Apartment Association (Covington, KY)
- Greater Cincinnati - Northern Kentucky Crime Stoppers
- Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Stroke Study
- George Cross News Letter (geology; Canada)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The commander of Cyprus's navy, Andreas Ioannides and Greek Cypriot National Guard also came under fire.
At least eleven people were killed in the event, including a number of firefighters, Greek Cypriot National Guard troops and fishermen.
Conscientious objectors, including those for religious reasons, are exempt from active military duty; however, they are legally required to complete an alternative military service and perform reservist duty in the Greek Cypriot National Guard (GCNG).
Since the de facto division of the island in 1974 as a result of the Turkish military intervention that followed a coup d'etat directed by Greece, UNFICYP has served as a buffer force between Turkish and Turkish Cypriot forces on one side and Greek Cypriot National Guard and Greek (Hellenic Republic) forces on the other.
It was soon reported, however, that the Greek Cypriot National Guard had recently purchased modern weaponry from Russia.
Massive damage was caused to homes in the nearby village of Mari, forcing the evacuation of its 150 residents, the village headman told AFP and Greek Cypriot National Guard commander Petros Tsaliklides resigned at an emergency cabinet meeting, Stefanou said.
Five firefighters were among the 11 dead, who also included four members of the Greek Cypriot National Guard and two sailors, CNA said.