The unelected Regional Assemblies/ Regional Chambers, the Government Offices for the Regions, the Regional FiReControl programme, the Regional Development Agencies have been terminated.
What does GORs stand for?
GORs stands for Government Offices for the Regions (UK)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of GORs
We have 4 other meanings of GORs in our Acronym Attic
- Good Organic Retailing Practices
- Gordon Outdoor Recreation Project (Gordon College; Wenham, MA)
- Graduate Orthodontic Residents Program (University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI)
- Granola, Oats, Raisins, and Peanuts (trail mix)
- Great Outdoor Recreation Pages (website)
- Grinnell Outdoor Recreation Program
- Growing Outdoor Recreation Professionals (University of California, Berkeley)
- Gross Overriding Royalty
- Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Symptom
- General Organization of Remote Sensing (Damascus, Syria)
- Government Operational Research Service (UK)
- Grupo Gor, SA de CV (Gorsa Computación)
- General Ormond R. Simpson Corps Honor Society (Texas A&M University Corps of Cadets)
- Genetically-Organized Robotic Technology (The Day the Earth Stood Still movie)
- Give or Take
- GLAST Optical Robotic Telescope
- Go Trial Reaction Time (mean reaction time)
- Gray Oral Reading Test
- Ground Observing Reconnaissance Transmitter (security camera)
- Great Ocean Road Tourist Park (Australia)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The Government Offices for the Regions were established around the country to help co-ordinate the work of government departments, but they were criticised for becoming bloated and adding to regional bureaucracy, interfering with the roles of councils.
He added: "And of course this loss of institutional knowledge is being compounded by the abolition of Government Offices for the Regions, which acted, at least in the case of Government Office North East, under Reay Atkinson, Alastair Balls and Jonathan Blackie, as powerful and influential advocates for the region within Government.
She also said many in the Conservative Party wanted to review the Government Offices for the Regions, whose functions could be better performed by local councils.
Ongoing research into the economics and practicalities of purchasing fresh rather than frozen meat has stimulated the Government Offices for the Regions to encourage LEAs to change their purchasing profiles.
These forums, led by local business representatives together with the government offices for the regions, bring together key regional bodies, including Business Links, the CBI, Chambers of Commerce, trade unions, local authorities and other public secto r bodies.
The Conservatives had created government offices for the regions, he said.