According to a report in Nature News, the huge Cryogenic Dark Matter Search (CDMSII) experiment contains a rack of supercooled hockey-puck-sized silicon and germanium detectors nestled within Russian-doll layers of shielding.
What does GeD stand for?
GeD stands for Germanium Detector
This definition appears rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GeD
We have 96 other meanings of GeD in our Acronym Attic
- Gallons per Employee per Day
- Gasoline Engine Driven
- Gender Equality in Development
- Gender Equity and Diversity
- Genealogical Data
- General Engineering Degree
- Generalized Entire Domain
- Generalized Error Distribution
- Generic Event Dispatcher
- German Emergency Doctors
- Gestion Electronique de Documents (French: Electronic Document Management)
- Gestione Elettronica dei Documenti
- Gestione Elettronica Documentale (Italian: Electronic Document Management)
- Git Er Done
- Global Electrodynamics
- Global Element Declaration
- Global Element Declaration (web services definition language)
- Global Equity Derivatives
- Global Event Detector
- Good Enough Diploma
Samples in periodicals archive:
The experiment, known as the Cryogenic Dark Matter Search, uses germanium detectors cooled to nearly absolute zero to record tiny vibrations imparted by a proposed type of dark matter called weakly interacting massive particles, or WIMPs.
But the war stimulated research at Bell Labs, Purdue University, and in England to satisfy the need for good silicon and germanium detectors for radar.
But, the maps constructed by Reedy and the Kaguya GRS team, using data gathered by state-of-the-art, high-energy-resolution germanium detectors, are extending the earlier results and improving our understanding of the Moon's surface composition.
Germanium detectors measure the gamma-ray emissions from these samples, which identify the types of radionuclides present.