27 TL782 The gathering marked the 50th anniversary of Sputnik I and the International Geophysical Year (IGY), so the first six papers are by invited space pioneers involved with the initiation and early conduct of the Soviet space program, IGY, and the space race.
What does GPY stand for?
GPY stands for Geophysical Year
This definition appears rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GPY
We have 1 other meaning of GPY in our Acronym Attic
- Generalized Plane Xanthoma
- Global Peering Exchange (Egypt)
- Glutathione Peroxidase
- GPS (Global Positioning System) Exchange Format
- Greyhound Package Express
- Gulfsands Petroleum PLC (UK; stock symbol)
- Glutathione Peroxidase 1
- Phospholipid Hydroperoxide Glutathione Peroxidase
- Gallons Per Year
- Global Partners for Youth (New York, NY)
- Global Program on Youth (University of Michigan)
- Gallons per Year Capacity (biodiesel reactors)
- Gatling Pointe Yacht Club (Smithfield, Virginia)
- Global Peace Youth Corps (various locations)
- Grand Philharmonic Youth Choir (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)
- Green Pastures Youth Center (est. 1994; Los Angeles, CA)
- Grosse Pointe Yacht Club (Grosse Pointe Shores, MI)
- Gun Proof Your Children (book)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The science undertaken at this station contributed geological and meteorological findings to the work of the International Geophysical Year of Co-operation in 1957.
Navy established Byrd station in 1957 as part of the International Geophysical Year, and weather observers measured temperatures there until 1975.
Planning for the IYPE is being coordinated with other Earth-related international initiatives for the 2007-2009 period, specifically the International Polar Year (IPY), International electronic Geophysical Year (IeGY), and the International Heliophysical Year (IHY).
Just as there was once a geophysical year, perhaps we should proclaim a geo-spiritual year in which nations and governments will co-operate in massive research and moral rehabilitation programmes to devise effective means for the reduction or elimination of vice and crime, of marital faithlessness and immorality gnawing at the roots of our common civilisation and our common heritage.
and Soviet military establishments, plans for the International Geophysical Year (July 1957-December 1958) committed both countries to launching satellites for scientific research.
The published text states: "Overflights were assumed away as the United States and the Soviet Union launched scientific satellites to mark the International Geophysical Year in 1957.
In the early 1950s, Berkner proposed an international research program that was to become the International Geophysical Year of 1957-1958-a massive undertaking of international scientific cooperation on a global scale.