That's very costly and time-consuming," especially for something that was already in the foods as a by-product of a bacterium that is generally recognized as safe by the FDA.
What does GRAS stand for?
GRAS stands for Generally Recognized As Safe
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GRAS
We have 21 other meanings of GRAS in our Acronym Attic
- Greater Rochester Association of Private Schools (New York)
- Gamma Ray Astronomy Program Working Group (NASA)
- Generic Reliability Assurance Requirements (Sprint)
- Graduate Admissions and Records
- Grand Rapids Association of REALTORS (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
- Greater Rochester Association of Realtors (New York)
- Grand Rapids Amateur Radio Association
- Ground Receiving and Analog Ranging Equipment
- Generic Reliability Assurance Requirements for Fiber Optic Transport Systems (Sprint)
- Guardrail Airborne Reconnaissance Low
- Generally Regarded As Safe
- Global Rent-a-Scope (various locations)
- GNSS (combined GPS and GLONASS positioning systems) Receiver for Atmospheric Sounding
- Ground-based Regional Augmentation System (Australia)
- Groupe de Recherche et d'Action pour la Santé
- Grüne und Alternative Studentinnen (Austrian Green Student's Party)
- Grasstrack Riders and Supporters Association (UK)
- Greater Rochester After-School Alliance (New York)
- Grandparents Rights Association of South Carolina (Easley, SC)
- Generally Recognized As Safe and Effective
Samples in periodicals archive:
A second category of substances excluded from the food additive regulation process are generally recognized as safe or GRAS substances.