To build the new ion device, Monroe and his colleagues used conventional microchip-fabrication methods to first deposit layers of the semiconductor compounds gallium arsenide and aluminum gallium arsenide onto a gallium arsenide wafer.
What does GaAs stand for?
GaAs stands for Gallium Arsenide
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GaAs
We have 27 other meanings of GaAs in our Acronym Attic
- Great Aussie Air Rally (Australia; flight simulation)
- Greater Albuquerque Association of Realtors (Albuquerque, NM)
- Greater Augusta Association of Realtors, Inc. (Augusta, GA)
- Guet Aérien Armé (French: Wath Air Arm)
- Gastonia Area Amateur Radio Club (North Carolina)
- GALS (Globally Asynchronous Locally Synchronous) Architecture for Algorithm-Specific Real-Time Power-Aware Applications
- Grants Adabas Access and Retrieval Package
- Global Atmospheric and Aerosol Radiation Study
- Government Astronomy Administration Round Table
- Guardian Angel Air-Deployable Recovery Vehicle (US Air Force)
- Game as a Service
- General Arts and Science (college program; Canada)
- General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc
- Generally Accepted Auditing Standard
- Guandong Academy of Agricultural Sciences (China)
- Guyot Adrien & Arnold Song (band)
- Greater Akron Amateur Soccer Association
- Gallium Aluminum Arsenide Semiconductor Diode
- Gallium Arsenide Field Effect Transistor
Samples in periodicals archive:
By contrast, gallium arsenide chips, which are used in DVD video players, communications equipment and lasers, are 40 times faster than silicon chips - but they are fragile and expensive.
Wafers of gallium arsenide and other semiconductors that can transmit electrons at high speeds and efficiently emit or detect light are costly and fragile.
By delicately parting curtains of electrons, scientists have gazed for the first time into channels on a crystal of the semiconductor gallium arsenide (SN: 8/16/97, p.