There was a time when a well-heeled chap fresh off the boat could turn up to a mixer at a good country club and emerge a few hours later slightly dazed and running a not inconsiderable division of a retail bank.
What does FOTB stand for?
FOTB stands for Fresh Off The Boat
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of FOTB
We have 10 other meanings of FOTB in our Acronym Attic
- Fiber Optic Termination Box (various companies)
- Finger on the Button
- First Off the Bench (basketball)
- Flash on the Beach (Flash Developers Conference, Brighton, UK)
- Flash on the Beach (UK Conference; Adobe Flash)
- Flight of the Bumblebee (song)
- Flip Off The Board (polite form)
- Focus On The Basics
- Force of the Breaker (Yu-Gi-Oh trading card game set)
- Forum Of The Banned
- Fresh Out the Box
- Friends of The Bride (London indie band)
- Friends of the Bridegroom
- Frosting on the Beater (Posies album)
- Fruit of the boom (Belgium dance party)
- Friends of the Bellaire Library (Texas)
- Friends of the Bird Sanctuary (Wisconsin)
- Fathers of the Church
- Fiber Optic TOW Cable
- Fire of the Carolinas (Elon University Marching Band)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Fresh off the boat from his rocking performance at Delhi's Amber Lounge during the Indian Grand Prix, it was clear that he came off much better than Tom Cruise.
In 1917, Samuel Rosen arrived at Ellis Island, fresh off the boat from Eastern Europe.
From callow immigrant fresh off the boat at Ellis Island to obsessed woman on a major mission, soprano Frederique Vezina was thoroughly prepossessing in the title role.
He had met Viveka at the time she was fresh off the boat from Mauritius, about 10 years ago.
He's proposed that some of the 11,277 apartments in Stuyvesant Town, one of Manhattan's nicer areas, should be given to Irish immigrants fresh off the boat.
I'd just come fresh off the boat - I didn't know what to do.
One of our mantras is always to source as locally as we possibly can, and there really is no better way to bring fish to a table than straight from your own supplier, fresh off the boat.