A casual Google search for the terms fourth generation warfare and asymmetric warfare generates 126,000 and 656,000 hits, respectively (and that is without using quotation marks to limit the search).
What does 4GW stand for?
4GW stands for Fourth Generation Warfare
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
- Military and Government
- 4 Fiber Ring (Nortel)
- 4th Generation (wireless/mobile communications)
- Travel (police incident code; New Zealand)
- Fourth Generation Language
- Forgive Me
- 4th Generation Networking Silicon System (Extreme)
- Fourth Gear
- 4 GB (RAM) Tuning
- 4 Horsemen
- Head, Heart, Hands, Health (pledged by members of 4-H Clubs)
- Photography Job (police incident code; New Zealand)
- Hydrogen, Helium, Hydrogen Cyanide, Hydrogen Fluoride, Methane, Ethylene, Diborane, Illuminating Gases, Carbon Monoxide, Acetylene, Neon, Nitrogen, Ammonia (mnemonic device for gases lighter than air)
- 4H (Head, Heart, Hands, Health) Club
- For He Is Mighty (band)
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Injury/Sickness (police incident code; New Zealand)
- 4th Infantry Division
- Court Security (police incident code; New Zealand)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Hammes," in Terriff, Karp, and Karp, 85; Michael Evans, "Elegant Irrelevance Revisited: A Critique of Fourth Generation Warfare," in Terriff, Karp, and Karp, 68-69, 71-72.
There are whole lot of new equipments, which is being thought of for Para Special Forces modernisation, especially in view of the fact that asymmetric warfare, and fourth generation warfare is a matter of concern and from that perspective we are trying to modernize entire Para Forces," said the Army Chief during the paratroopers reunion hosted by the Parachute Brigade here on Tuesday.
Colonel Hammes' focus here is upon '4GW': fourth generation warfare which is low-tech and surprisingly effective against high-tech enemies.
The military's need for training 6-12 soldier squads for Fourth Generation warfare is projected for dramatic growth.
1) Also, fourth generation warfare (4GW) includes three basic constructs:  The loss of the nation-states' monopoly on war.