The only time immigration officials at Ellis Island wrote down names was when immigrants were held for hearings or medical help.
What does ELIS stand for?
ELIS stands for Ellis Island (US National Park Service)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of ELIS
We have 13 other meanings of ELIS in our Acronym Attic
- European Programme for Life and Physical Science (European Space Agency)
- Expertise in Life and Pension Solutions (Belgium)
- Extended Librarian Interactive Productivity Services (Sprint)
- Emission Location Information Report
- Enhancement-Led Institutional Review (UK)
- Enlisted Loss Inventory Report - Computation of Manpower Programs Using Linear Programming
- Educazione, Lavoro, Istruzione, Sport (Italian: Education, Jobs, Instruction, Sport; Rome, Italy)
- Electronic Library Information System (various organizations)
- Electronic Library of Scientific Research
- Electronics and Information Systems (Ghent University; Belgium)
- Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science
- Equitable Life Insurance Society
- Eastern Long Island Sailing Association (also seen as ELIYA)
- Electronic Intelligence Search & Analysis
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay
- Estimated Load Information Scheduling Algorithm
- European Experiment on the Linkage between Internet Integrated Services and ATM
- European Light Sources Activities (EU)
- Evolution of Large-Scale Industrial Software Applications (International Conference)
- Export License Status Advisor (US DoD)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Rocker Bruce Springsteen was presented with an Ellis Island family heritage award in New York yesterday.
While ELLIS ISLAND is a pick for any collection strong in immigration history, it's reviewed here for its hard-hitting impact in the world of cultural photography, as well: not only college-level collections strong in immigration images but general-interest libraries and art libraries specializing in contemporary photography must have it.
Richard Hayden, managing partner of Swanke Hayden Connell Architects (SHCA), has received an Ellis Island Medal of Honor from the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations (NECO).
A visit to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island will inspire even the most world-weary traveler.