This year's vernal equinox occurs on March 20, at exactly 11:02 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), or 7:02 am Eastern Daylight Time, ushering in spring in the Northern Hemisphere, and autumn for the Southern.
What does UTC stand for?
UTC stands for Coordinated Universal Time (zulu or Greenwich Mean Time, GMT)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of UTC
We have 181 other meanings of UTC in our Acronym Attic
- Upper Tampa Bay Library Foundation (Florida)
- Université de Technologie de Belfort-Montbéliard (Belfort, France)
- Uniform Task-Based Management System
- University of Texas Business Network (Austin, TX)
- Under the Banner of Heaven (book)
- University of Texas at Brownsville Relativity Group
- Under the Burning Suns (gaming)
- Upon the Burning Sands (game)
- Unhealthy to Be Unpleasant (James Kirkwood play)
- Chief Utilitiesman (Naval Rating)
Samples in periodicals archive:
At 10:25 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on July 16 (top image), the iceberg was still close to the glacier.
JUNE 30 -- A leap second is added to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
Today's system is called Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
They discuss time before the 20th century, solar time, ephemerides, variable earth time, earth rotation and polar motion, ephemeris time, relativity and time, dynamical and coordinate time scales, clock developments, microwave atomic clocks, optical atomic standards, the definition and role of a second, international atomic time, coordinated universal time, time in the solar system, time and frequency transfer, modern earth orientation, international activities, time applications, and the future of timekeeping.
To keep Earth time and atomic time in sync, experts have agreed to insert a leap second every few years into the official atomic-based standard, which is called Coordinated Universal Time.