If you select a small file, that option will compress it and attach the compressed file to a new e-mail message.
What does ZIP stand for?
ZIP stands for Compressed File (PKzip file name extension)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
See other definitions of ZIP
We have 41 other meanings of ZIP in our Acronym Attic
- Zinc Industrias Nacionales SA (Spanish: Zinc National Industries; Callao, Peru)
- Zimbabwe Integrated Teacher Education Course
- Zimbabwe National Water Authority
- Zappa in New York (album)
- Zinc Iodide-Osmium
- ND Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry (Russia)
- Zion National Park (US National Park Service)
- Zions Bancorporation (stock symbol)
- Zoning in on Physics
- Zanzibar Indian Ocean Research Institute (Tanzania)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Although NAV works on Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP, it will detect viruses in Windows 2000 and XP compressed file archives before the files are used.
What makes the application so handy is that, when you call up a compressed file, it decompresses automatically and "on the fly"--that is, you don't have to take any extra steps.
Data sets with few compressed files were used, as well as sets that included many previously compressed file types.