She noted that it takes at least five years for ELL learners to acquire what is known as cognitive academic language proficiency, which is the ability to use the acquired language to learn academic content.
What does CALP stand for?
CALP stands for Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of CALP
We have 30 other meanings of CALP in our Acronym Attic
- Child and Adolescent Level of Care Utilization System (psychiatric evaluation)
- Circumferential Acoustic Log (petrolium industry)
- California Office of Health Information Integrity (Sacramento, CA)
- Commission for Access and Local Original Programming (University City, MO)
- Coastal and Limited-Objective Warfare
- Contingency And Limited Objectives Warfare
- Calsenilin-Like Protein
- Centro de Astrofísica en la Palma (Canary Islands, Spain)
- Certified Ambassador Loan Processor (National Association of Mortgage Processors)
- Civilian Aircraft Landing Permit
- Cristalleria Artistica La Piana (All the World, Crystalware)
- Workshop on Computer-Aided Language Processing
- Canadian Airline Pilots Association (union)
- Canadian Atlantic Lobster Promotion Association (trade association)
- Central Association of London and Provincial Angling Clubs (UK)
- California Police Activities League
- Cologne Radiocarbon Calibration & Paleoclimate Research Package
- California Professional Association of Specialty Contractors
- California Partnership for Achieving Student Success (also seen as Cal-PASS; data tracking initiative)
- Catchment and Land Protection Board (Australia)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The youngest arrivals (aged 6-11) struggled the most in developing cognitive academic language proficiency (CALP) despite their apparent advantage in having acquired native-like proficiency with the phonological and syntactic features of English and the assumed advantage that a greater length of residence (LOR) in Canada might accrue in acculturating to community and school life.
In his now classic work, Cummins notes that BICS typically is acquired over a period of one or two years, but that academic language, or cognitive academic language proficiency (CALP), can take from five to eight years to master.