A good alternative is to restart the computer in Safe Mode, then open the prompt window and type CHKDSK to run XP's equivalent of Scandisk.
What does CHK stand for?
CHK stands for CHKDSK (File Name Extension)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
See other definitions of CHK
We have 18 other meanings of CHK in our Acronym Attic
- Claydon Heeley Jones Mason (UK)
- Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra
- Canvas Hook and Jab Pads (product; boxing)
- Clarella Hackett Johnson Public Library
- Castle Hill Junior School (UK)
- Centre Hospitalier Jean Titeca (French: Hospital Jean Titeca; Belgium)
- Complete History of Jack the Ripper (book)
- Central Hardwoods Joint Venture (Webster Groves, MO)
- Church, Harris, Johnson and Williams, P.C. (Montana; est. 1949)
- Chuuk, Caroline Islands, Micronesia (airport code)
- Civil Hospital, Karachi (Pakistan)
- Cook Hammond & Kell Ltd. (printers; UK)
- Csk Homologous Kinase
- Chinese Hawaiian Kenpo Academy (New York, NY)
- Chick Cerebellar Kainate Binding Protein
- Canadian Helen Keller Centre (Ontario, Canada)
- Cherokee Coach, Inc.
- China Hong Kong City (commercial complex; Hong Kong)
- Choppahead Kustom Cycles (New Bedford, MA)
Samples in periodicals archive:
On another computer, Diskeeper set CHKDSK to run at boot-time.
If CHKDSK finds any lost data, it will ask you if you want it converted into a file.
External DOS commands such as CHKDSK and FORMAT must be in the directory you are using or in one listed in your path statement.