In the case of international adoptions there may be fees to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, country fees, contributions to orphanages, and travel expenses, which may include several trips to the country of adoption and payment for hotels, sometimes for several weeks.
What does CIS stand for?
CIS stands for Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (US Department of Homeland Security)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of CIS
We have 833 other meanings of CIS in our Acronym Attic
- Centre for Innovation Research in the Utility Sector (Switzerland)
- Carnation Italian Ringspot Virus
- Cincinnati Initiative to Reduce Violence (Ohio)
- Coalition for Instant Runoff Voting (Florida PAC)
- Common Interswitch Rekeying Variable (US DoD)
- Creation Innovation Relation Vision
- Committee for the Recovery of the Vaquita (UK)
- Centros Integrados de Recuperação, Valorização e Eliminação de Resíduos Perigosos (Portugal)
- Communications Instructions for Reporting Vital Intelligence Sightings
- Communications Instructions for Reporting Vital Intelligence Sightings (US DoD)
- Cabinet d'Investigations de Strasbourg (French: Office of Investigations in Strasbourg; private investigation agency; Strasbourg, France)
- Cable Inlay System (various companies)
- Calcul Intensif et Simulation (French: Intensive Computing and Simulation)
- Californians for Inclusive Schools
- Canada Investment and Savings (government)
- Canadian Ice Service (government agency)
- Canadian Industry Statistics
- Canadian Inspection Service
- Canadian International School
- Canadian Interuniversity Sport
Samples in periodicals archive:
2003, INS became part office newly formed Department of Homeland Security and was renamed the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
For example, BICE needs to coordinate and collaborate with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) for the timely and proper adjudication of benefit applications, and with the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (BCBP) to assist in antismuggling investigations and sharing intelligence.
That being said, and consistent with recently introduced procedures used by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS), formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and the various consulates around the world, additional security measures are being taken to reduce the risk of "undesirables" obtaining visas.
McElroy, formerly district director of the INS and now district director of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.