They found that a protein called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which is increased in cocaine addiction, is inhibited in opioid addiction.
What does BDNF stand for?
BDNF stands for Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of BDNF
We have 5 other meanings of BDNF in our Acronym Attic
- Business Development Network
- Busy Doing Nothing (band)
- Bangladesh Diploma Nurses Association
- Beclomethasone Dipropionate Nasal Aerosol (medication)
- Branched DNA (biochemistry)
- Brentwood-Darlington Neighborhood Association (Portland, OR)
- Businessmen Democratic National Committee
- Bubble and Drop Nonlinear Dynamics
- Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest (Montana)
- Brain Derived Nerve Factor (aka Brain-Derived Nerve Growth Factor)
- British Dermatological Nursing Group
- Ballarat District Nursing and Healthcare (Australia)
- Bank Dagang Nasional Indonesia (Indonesian: Indonesian National Bank Dagang)
- base de données nationale de l'identification
- Bildungsinitiative der Netzwerk Industrie (German: Educational Initiative of the Networking Industry)
- Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council
- Bogarodzicy Dziewicy Niepokalanie Poczetej (Polish: Virgin Immaculate Conception Church)
- Beclomethasone Dipropionate Nasal Spray
- Book Distributors New Zealand
Samples in periodicals archive:
Introduction Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is a member of the neurotrophin family of growth factors.
Germ-free mice also exhibited an up-regulation of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus, as well as down-regulation of 5HT1A receptors and NMDA receptor expression, all of which have been associated to the stress response and to emotional behavior (Neurogastroenterol.
The influence of inhalative corticosteroids on circulating nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3 in allergic asthmatics.
Meanwhile, ciliary neurotrophic factor, insulin-like growth factor-1, and brain-derived neurotrophic factor are in human clinical trials for treating ALS.
Preclinical studies suggest that brain-derived neurotrophic factor is increased by antidepressant drugs, so researchers turned to another compound that increases BDNF, the dopamine receptor agonist pramipexole, which is approved to treat Parkinson's disease.
Gao reported a study in which exogenous neurotrophic factors were applied to postnatal rat cochlear explant cultures that had been exposed to different classes of ototoxins; neurotrophin-4/5, brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), and neurotrophin-3 were found to protect spiral ganglion neurons from ototoxicity induced by gentamicin, sodium salicylate, and cisplatin.