In the past, Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) Software was limited to basic "on/off" and self-test functionality.
What does BIOS stand for?
BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
See other definitions of BIOS
We have 42 other meanings of BIOS in our Acronym Attic
- Broadcast Inter-ORB Protocol
- Bureau d'Information et d'Orientation Professionnelles (French)
- Burst Idle Optical Protocol
- Biological Pack
- Quality Undergraduate Educational Simulations and Tools in Biology
- Biological Research for Animals & People
- Biotech-Cluster Rhein Neckar (Germany)
- Biomedical Robotics Biomechatronics (conference)
- Basic Input/Output Services
- Basic Input/Output Set
- Binary Operating System (computers)
- Biological Satellite
- Biology Intensive Orientation for Students
- Biomedical Optics Society
- Biometric Signature (biometrics)
- Biometrische Signatur
- British Institute of Organ Studies
- British Intelligence Objectives Subcommittee
- Budget Interium Outfitting Spares (Navy)
- Built in Operating System
Samples in periodicals archive:
It infects the basic input/output system (BIOS), overriding and corrupting sections of the embedded drives in a computer.
Thus they incorporated the MM/DD/YY convention for assigning dates--both in computers' basic input/output system (BIOS) and in the coding Or applications--limiting the computer to two digits for each field.