Axillary sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) is a less invasive alternative to axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) for breast cancer staging.
What does ax stand for?
ax stands for Axillary (armpit)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of ax
- Arcade Extreme (game)
- Architecture Extended
- Arenacross (motor sports)
- Armani Exchange
- Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company
- Auto Cross
- Automatic Transmission
- Auxiliary Systems
- AUXOP (AUXMIS)
- Concept for Long Range Advanced Missile
- X-Axis Acceleration
- American Axle & Manufacturing Company
- Amateur X.25 Protocol (used by Hams)
- Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Technician First Class (Naval Rating)
- Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Technician Second Class (Naval Rating)
- Aviation Antisubmarine Warfare Technician Third Class (Naval Rating)
- ApplicationXtender 5
Samples in periodicals archive:
INTRODUCTION We present the case of a 47-year-old woman who presented with axillary lymph node metastatic breast cancer after risk reducing mastectomy in which only Lobular Carcinoma-in-Situ (LCIS) was present on histopathology.
A new study has shown that women with early breast cancer and positive lymph nodes lived just as long whether they had sentinel lymph node dissection (SLND) plus axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) or SLND alone.
Axillary lymph node dissection did not improve overall survival or disease-free survival in women with T1-T2 breast cancer who were found to have limited metastasis on sentinel node dissection, according to a report.
Axillary node dissection is slowly going out of favour for women with early breast cancer because of accumulating evidence that looking for metastases beyond sentinel lymph nodes does more harm than good.