The firm also fitted out to serve as armed merchant cruiser the Jervis Bay, which sacrificed herself to save a convoy and earned her master, Captain Fogarty Fegan, a posthumous VC.
What does XCL stand for?
XCL stands for Armed Merchant Cruiser (US Navy)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of XCL
We have 4 other meanings of XCL in our Acronym Attic
- eXtensible Chart Integration
- X Chromosome Inactivation
- X-Chromosomal Ichthyosis (genetics)
- XML Court Interface
- XO Communications IP Administrator
- extensible Customer Information Standard
- X Chromosome Inactivation Pattern (gene research)
- Xerox Community Involvement Program (Canada)
- Expert Common Immersive Theater Environment (US Air Force)
- Xilinx Controlled Impedance Technology
Samples in periodicals archive:
Service aboard armed merchant cruisers was dangerous.
After working on the Liverpool-Montreal route, she also became an armed merchant cruiser at the start of the Second World War.
Stan also saw wartime service on the armed merchant cruisers Antenor and Corfu.
Operations in the north were left to a motley collection of armed merchant cruisers, trawlers and drifters.
He sank three British armed merchant cruisers in late 1940 - Laurentic and Patroclus on the same night and the Forfar a month later.
Serving as an armed merchant cruiser during the First World War, she was paid off for the last time in 1919 and broken up in 1922.
Most famously, the White Star Line despatched SS Teutonic, one of the world's most advanced luxury liners, in her alternative guise as an armed merchant cruiser, for the 1897 review.