Insecticides killing bees was a concern, but American foulbrood disease was the biggest problem.
What does AFB stand for?
AFB stands for American Foulbrood (a honeybee disease)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of AFB
We have 133 other meanings of AFB in our Acronym Attic
- Air Force Base
- Air Force Board (Air Force acquisitions functional group)
- Airframe Bulletin
- Aktion für Berlin (German Political Party)
- Alcohol Free Beverage
- Alcoholic Fruit Beverage
- Alternative Fall Break (various schools)
- Aluminum Four Barrel (auto carburetor)
- American Farm Bureau, Inc.
- American Federal Bank (Fargo, ND)
- American Foundation for the Blind
- American Four Barrel (carburetor)
- Amiga Format Bulletin (mailing list)
- Amt für Bodenmanagement (German: Office of Land Management)
- Anaerobic Fluidized Bed
- Anderson Ferry Boat (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Anti-Friction Bearing
- Aortofemoral Bypass (medical procedure)
- Application for Benefits
- Apply for Benefits (various locations)
Samples in periodicals archive:
larvae was further confirmed by two previously described PCR protocols, designed from 16S rRNA gene region (Wiesburg et al, 1991) and 35KDa metalloprotease precursor gene (Neundorf et al, 2004) The aims of this study were to determine the prevalence of Paenibacillus larvae in honey bee's colonies kept in Jordan, depending on disease symptoms, microbiological methods and PCR technique and to confirm the presence of causative agent of American Foulbrood (AFB) disease in Jordan using microbiological methods and PCR technique.
Diagnosis of American foulbrood in honey bees: a synthesis and proposed analytical protocols.
The usual causes of honeybee deaths include varroa mites, hive beetles, and American foulbrood (a bacterial disease rapidly becoming resistant to antibiotic treatment).
Preparation of disease-free colonies for drone mother colonies starts in the autumn to control varroa, Tracheal mites, Nosema, European and American foulbrood, chalkbrood and virus infections the following spring.
It should be noted that all honey imported into South Africa is irradiated as a matter of course, to prevent the introduction of the causative organism of the honeybee brood disease, American Foulbrood.
She also notes the threat that ailments particular to bees, such as American Foulbrood, posed to early American beekeepers.