She teaches biology and Advancement Via Individual Determination, a course that prepares middle-of-the-road students for rigorous, college preparatory courses.
What does AVID stand for?
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination (DoDEA education program)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of AVID
We have 24 other meanings of AVID in our Acronym Attic
- Aviation Industry Corporation (China)
- China Aviation Industry Corp II
- Société d'Avitaillement et de Catering
- Antivenom Information Center of Bahia (Brazil)
- Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities (Canada)
- Alberni Valley Intermediate Care Home Society
- A Voice in the Desert (Christian music ministry in Binghamton, NY and NYC, NY)
- Achievement Via Individual Determination
- Advanced Via Individual Determination
- Advanced Visual Information Display
- Aerospace Vehicle Interactive Design
- Agent's Visual Inspection Disclosure (real estate; California)
- Agriculture Victoria (Library Catalogue)
- Airborne Vehicle Identification
- American Veterinary Identification Devices
- Antiarrhythmics Versus Implantable Defibrillators (study)
- Army Visual Information Center (Pentagon, Washington, DC)
- Average Valued Impressions Delivered
- American Veterans in Domestic Defense
- Asociación de Viudas y Huérfanos y Discapacitados (Guatemalan humanitarian organization)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Superintendent Arne Duncan, initially resistant when confronted with these findings, eventually agreed to Generation Y's recommendation to try the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program in eight schools.
One of the few programs that has proved consistently effective with high school children is Advancement Via Individual Determination, or AVID, which was founded in 1980 by a high school English teacher in San Diego named Mary Catherine Swanson.