57] Statins are synthetic agents that inhibit the rate-limiting enzyme of the mevalonate pathway, 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase, thereby inhibiting cholesterol biosynthesis.
What does HMGCR stand for?
HMGCR stands for 3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl-CoA (Coenzyme A) Reductase
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Hydroxy-Methyl-Glutaric Acid
- High Mobility Group Box
- High Mobility Group Box Chromosomal Protein 1
- High Mobility Group Box 1
- Heaton Moor Golf Club (England)
- Hepatic Metastasis of Gastric Cancer (obstetrics and gynecology)
- Human and Molecular Genetics Center (est. 1999; Medical College of Wisconsin)
- Hydro-Membrane Gas Chromatography
- Her/His Majesty's Government Communications Centre (UK)
- HMG-CoA Lyase (deficiency)
- High Mobility Ground Control Station (General Atomics Aeronautical Systems)
- 3-@hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl-Coa Synthase 2, Mitochondrial
- Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy (Longmont, Colorado)
- Human Gene Mutation Database (Institute of Medical Genetics in Cardiff, UK)
- Hardware Maintenance Generic Equipment List
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Funds (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
- Honest Medical Guidance Foundation
- Hot Metal Gas Forming (industrial manufacturing)
- Hughes Med-Grad Fellowship (Birmingham, AL)
- Hydroxy Methyl Glutaryl Flavonones
Samples in periodicals archive:
Introduction Statins are inhibitors of the rate-limiting enzyme, 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA (HMG-CoA) reductase, in cholesterol biosynthesis.
The mRNA expressions of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) [alpha], diacylglycerol acyltransferase (DGAT), 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA (HMG-CoA) reductase and cholesterol 7[alpha]-hydroxylase (CYP7A) in mouse hepatic tissue or cultured hepatocytes were determined by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).
Genes spotted multiple times on different parts of the array include 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase, glycosylate reductase, choriogenin 2, a clone that shares homology to Unknown protein (GenBank accession no.
3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl-CoA Lyase Deficiency(*)--If this disorder is untreated, it is likely to result in death during childhood.
Adzuki resistant starch lowered serum cholesterol and hepatic 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA mRNA levels and increased hepatic LDL-receptor and cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase mRNA levels in rats fed a cholesterol diet.
[beta]-KETOTHIOLASE, 3-HYDROXY-3-METHYLGLUTARYL-COA LYASE (HMG), AND 3-METHYLCROTONYL-COA CARBOXYLASE (MCC) DEFICIENCY AND MCD 3-Hydroxyisovalerylcarnitine (C5OH) or its isomers is a primary or secondary marker for these four disorders.
Fasting hypoketotic coma in a child with deficiency of mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthase.