This condition is also known as 'stiff baby syndrome' or 'startle disease' Hyperekplexia can present in major and minor forms and is caused by a mutation in chromosome 5 which results in a defect in the [alpha]-1 subunit of the inhibitory glycine receptors in the caudal pontine reticular formation leading to neuronal hyperexcitability.
What does PRF stand for?
PRF stands for pontine reticular formation
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of PRF
We have 197 other meanings of PRF in our Acronym Attic
- Plan Contra Robo y Fraude (Spanish: Plan against Theft and Fraud)
- Plan Régional de Formation (French: Regional Training Plan)
- Plan Review Fee (zoning)
- Platelet Rich Fibrin
- Plutonium Recovery Facility
- Plymouth Rock Foundation (Plymouth, MA)
- Point Response Function
- Policy Rating Factor (insurance)
- Policy Reference File
- Polynomial Root Finder (math software)
- Population Regression Function (economics)
- Port Reception Facility (shipping)
- Post Restaurant Fund
- Post-operative Respiratory Failure
- Poverty Reduction Forum (Zimbabwe)
- Preferences (File Name Extension)
- Preliminary Registration Form
- Premier Rock Forum (aka Electrical Audio Forum)
- PreRecorded Friends
- Primary Reference Fuel
Samples in periodicals archive:
The brain glucose metabolism increases significantly in the thalamus, the limbic system and the pontine reticular formation during REM sleep as compared to quiet wakefulness (15).
Vestibular and optokinetic inputs come from the vestibular nuclei, saccadic commands arise from burst neurons in the paramedian pontine reticular formation (PPRF), pursuit signals from the cerebellum are relayed in vestibular nuclei and the signal required to hold the eye steady in its new position (gaze-holding mechanism) reaches the abducens nuclei from the nucleus prepositus hypoglossi.