The America class shares much of the internal structure of USS Makin Island (LHD 8), but the new LHAs differ from LHDs in being exclusively aviation ships without well decks.
What does AS stand for?
AS stands for Aviation Ship (US DoD)
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of AS
We have 206 other meanings of AS in our Acronym Attic
- Author Space (webcomic)
- Authorization Subsystem
- Automatic Sprinkler
- Automation Specialist
- Autonomous System (ATM)
- Autos Suecos (Spanish: Swedish Cars)
- Autosavants.com (car enthusiasts)
- Auxiliary Steam
- Auxiliary Submarine
- Aviation Safety
- Aviation Support Equipment Technician
- Complex Antenna
- Sickle-cell Trait (carrier; genetics)
- Submarine Tender
- Wait (logging abbreviation)
- Åsane Fotball (Norwegian football club)
- Air & Surface Maneuvering Module (TARTAR)
- Advanced Systems and Concepts
- Alarm, Surveillance, & Control (Alcatel)
- Airborne Systems and Crew Station
Samples in periodicals archive:
On air-capable ships, nonaviators fill many roles on the ship normally filled by aviators on aviation ships.
Aviation Ship Interface Specification Guide A joint-Service specification guide on air vehicle/ship integration is being developed.
The three RFA ships which left the Marchwood military port this morning will be joined by the 28,000 tonne aviation ship RFA Argus which will carry five Sea King helicopters.
The MAFFT will provide Navy crash and salvage team members with the specialized skills and knowledge necessary to operate as an aircraft carrier or amphibious aviation ship aircraft firefighting and salvage team.
Repositioning aircraft on deck appears to be a simple procedure conducted countless times daily on large aviation ships.