2) To fulfill this basic purpose, Congress established a National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS) composed of congressionally designated wilderness areas, to be administered to ensure "the preservation of their wilderness character.
What does WSA stand for?
WSA stands for Wilderness Preservation System
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of WSA
We have 197 other meanings of WSA in our Acronym Attic
- Western States Affiliate (American Heart Association)
- Western Sunbathing Association (AANR region)
- Western Suppliers Association
- Wet Sulphuric Acid
- Wheelchair Sports Alberta (Canada)
- Wheelchair Sports Australia
- White Student Alliance
- Whole School Approach (various locations)
- Whole School Assembly
- Wilbur Smith Associates
- Wilderness Study Areas
- William Self Associates
- William Stucky & Associates Inc.
- Williams Syndrome Association
- Williams, Stern & Associates
- Winchester School of Art (UK)
- Windows Sockets API (aka Winsock Application)
- Wine and Spirit Association (London, UK)
- Wing Staff Agency (US DoD)
- Winsock Application (aka Windows Sockets API; programming interface)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Senator from Colorado, has been instrumental in protecting our region's spectacular natural resources from overuse and exploitation," said Reid Haughey, President of The Wilderness Land Trust, a nonprofit that acquires endangered lands for the National Wilderness Preservation System.
[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED] With that start, Oberholtzer was all-in as a full-time wilderness advocate For three-and-a-half more decades, he led the conservationists' side in a seemingly endless succession of intense debates over proposed roads, togging, mining, and tourist development along the Minnesota-Ontario border His work contributed directly to the inclusion of BWCA in the National Wilderness Preservation System in 1964 and its expansion by 58,000 acres in 1978, Ontario's granting of full wilderness protection to Ouetico Provincial Park in 1972; and the establishment of Voyageurs National Park in 1975.
Also in 1988 Congress approved the Washington Park Wilderness Act (Public Law 100-688) which made most of the North Cascades National Park Complex part of the National Wilderness Preservation system.
Upon its creation 30 years ago, the Act's National Wilderness Preservation System designated about nine million acres of federal land as Wilderness.
The report, mandated in Section 507(a) of the Americans with Disabilities Act, states, "The National Council on Disability shall conduct a study and report on the effect that wilderness designations and wilderness land management practices have on the ability of individuals with disabilities to use and enjoy the National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS) as established under the Wilderness Act.
Each wilderness approved by Congress becomes part of our National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS), to be protected and administered by the existing landlord (Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management).
9 million acres protected as Wilderness Study Areas, managed to protect their wilderness character -- including ecological, scenic, recreational, educational and scientific values --until Congress has the chance to decide whether or not these places warrant inclusion in the National Wilderness Preservation System.