It is further proof that even white Anglo-Saxon Protestants are descended from a black Eve, the mother of us all.
What does WASP stand for?
WASP stands for White Anglo-Saxon Protestant
This definition appears very frequently
See other definitions of WASP
We have 87 other meanings of WASP in our Acronym Attic
- Web Applications and Services Platform (WSDL, XML)
- Web Archiving Strategy Project (University of Melbourne, Australia)
- Web Standards Project
- Weighted Anomaly Standardized Precipitation
- Welcome, Acquiring Information, Supplying Information, Parting (interview structure)
- West African Stabilization Program
- Western Academic and Specialist Press (UK)
- What A Strange Person
- Whistler Adaptive Sports Program (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- White Anglo Saxon Pagan :-)
- White Ashkenazi Sabra Paratrooper (Israel)
- Wide Angle Stinger Pointer
- Wide Area Saturation Projectile (gaming, Red Faction Ii Weapon)
- Wide Area Search for Planets (UK universities project)
- Wide Area Situation Picture
- Wide-Area Special Projectile (USAF)
- Wide-Body Airborne Sensor Platform
- Wideband Acoustic Signal Processing
- Wideband Analog Signal Processor
- Wideband Autocorellating Spectrometer
Samples in periodicals archive:
Richards commented, "With a last name like 'Richards' people commonly assume I am a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, however after less than five minutes of conversation they come to realize I am very much an Italian American.
It was the world into which he had been born and inhabited all his life: that of the White Anglo-Saxon Protestant graduates of the Ivy League universities who made up New York society and the upper echelons of the banking and legal establishment.
White Anglo-Saxon Protestants are not addressed as a group per se, and race/ethnicity is glossed over in the treatment of "Power Elites" in the "groups" section.
Had Al Smith been a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, would he have defeated the heir-apparent to Calvin Coolidge, whose very name was associated with the prosperity of the Roaring 20’s?
In my teens, I heard the expression White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.
Doctorow wrote about three remarkable families at the beginning of the century--one upper-middle-class, white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, one socialist immigrant Jewish, and one Harlem black--whose lives become dramatically intertwined.
It will be objected (stay your hands a moment, Washington Monthly letter-to-the-editor writers) that today the president, the secretary of state, and the secretary of the treasury are all White Anglo-Saxon Protestants born to secure upper-class wealth and educated at boarding schools and Ivy League colleges-a WASP Trifecta not achieved at any other time in the past half-century-and that Ralph Lauren has gotten very rich helping the middle class to acquire a hint of the old WASP style.