1] It is caused by a deficiency or abnormality of the von Willebrand factor, a protein in the blood that is necessary for normal blood clotting.
What does vWFA stand for?
vWFA stands for Von Willebrand Factor (genetics)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of vWFA
We have 1 other meaning of vWFA in our Acronym Attic
- Virginia Wildlife Federation
- Virginia Wrestling Federation
- Virtual Wafer Fab
- Virtual Worlds Forum
- Vision World Foundation
- Voices for Working Families
- Volkswagen Foundation (Germany)
- Von Willebrand Factor
- Valentine Willie Fine Art
- Visual Word Form Area (neuroscience)
- Vancouver Whitecaps Football Club (Vancouver, Canada)
- Venus Williams Fan Club
- Very Wide Field Camera
- Von Willebrand Factor
- Very Wide Field Imager (space telescope technology)
- Von Willebrand Factor-Like Immunoreactivity
- Vancouver Womens Fastball League (Canada)
- Victorian Women's Football League (Australia)
- Von Willebrand Factor Multimers (clinical pathology)
- Von Willebrand Factor Pseudogene
Samples in periodicals archive:
Contract award: the concentrate of human coagulation factor viii containing von willebrand factor in the treatment of von willebrand disease.
von WILLEBRAND FACTOR (VFE) An EIA for the quantification of human von Willebrand factor antigen in plasma.
Administration of DDAVP results in increased levels of von Willebrand factor, coagulation factor VIII, and tissue plasminogen activator.
ABBREVIATIONS: ELISA = Enzyme Linked Immuno-sorbent Assay; EQA = external quality assurance; LIA = Latex Immuno-Assay; LLS = Lower limit of sensitivity; QAP = Quality Assurance Program; VWD = von Willebrand disease; VWF = von Willebrand Factor; VWF:Act = von Willebrand Factor Activity' (assay); VWF:Ag = von Willebrand Factor Antigen (assay); VWF:CB = von Willebrand Factor collagen binding (assay); VWF:RCo = von Willebrand Factor Ristocetin Cofactor (assay).
vWD is caused by a decreased level or function of von Willebrand factor (vWF) and may be inherited or acquired.
Comment: vWD, a bleeding disorder caused by a defect or deficiency of the blood-clotting protein von Willebrand Factor (VWF), is the most comon inherited bleeding disorder, affecting 1%-2% of the population.
Von Willebrand factor (VWF) is a multifunctional adhesive protein that plays a key role in primary hemostasis.