Pyrethroid insecticides: ste-reospecific allosteric interaction with the batrachotoxinin-A benzoate binding site of mammalian voltage-sensitive sodium channels.
What does VSSC stand for?
VSSC stands for Voltage-Sensitive Sodium Channels
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of VSSC
We have 25 other meanings of VSSC in our Acronym Attic
- Vereniging Surinaamse Studenten Amsterdam (Dutch: Suriname Students’ Association Amsterdam; Netherlands)
- Veterans Supportive Services Agency (San Jose, CA)
- Victorian Sabot Sailing Association (Australia)
- Virginia Shooting Sports Association (Orange, VA)
- Virginia Social Science Association
- Voluntary Sector Support Agencies Network (Manchester, England, UK)
- Variable Structure Speed Control
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (India)
- Virginia Student Services Conference
- VISN (Veterans Integrated Service Network) Support Services Center
- Vontobel Swiss Small Companies (securities fund; Switzerland)
- Vereniging voor Studie- en Studentenbelangen te Delft
- Very Small Site Design (Navy and Marine Corps Intranet)
- Veterinary Service Support District
- Vietnam Securities Software Development
- Voice Switching Solutions Development
- VPN Signaling and Switched Data (Sprint)
- VeriSign System of Digital Signatures and Encryption
- Velocity, Safe Speed Engine (speed to provide a margin against the occurrence of an unintentional stall)
- Verband Süddeutscher Spargel- und Erdbeeranbauer (Association of South German Asparagus and Strawberry Growers)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The mechanism of action is not known, but in vitro studies suggest that lamotrigine inhibits voltage-sensitive sodium channels, thus stabilizing neuronal membranes and modulating presynaptic release of excitatory neurotransmitters such as glutamate and aspartate.
2 Lamotrigine is structurally unrelated to any other AED therapy currently available, and is believed to act through use-dependent blockade of voltage-sensitive sodium channels.
Anticonvulsants and Voltage-Sensitive Ion Channels Neurotransmitter release from presynaptic nerve terminals is linked to both voltage-sensitive sodium channels (VSSC) and voltage-sensitive calcium channels (VSCC) (figure).
Brevetoxins, unique activators of voltage-sensitive sodium channels, bind to specific sites in rat brain synaptosomes.
These lipid-soluble polyether toxins, like the ciguatoxins, exert their toxicity by activating voltage-sensitive sodium channels (1).
Lamotrigine, a novel anticonvulsant, appears to have diverse mechanisms of action, including inhibition of the release of the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, calcium channel blockade, and an effect on voltage-sensitive sodium channels, which are believed to play a role in bipolar disorder.
html Brevetoxins are lipid-soluble, polyether, marine toxins that have an excitatory action on voltage-sensitive sodium channels (1).