The newer version of the draft standard now also calls for a modified mockup piece designed according to American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and Upholstered Furniture Action Council (UFAC) specifications for the smoldering resistance tests, and requires that a cigarette be left on the mock-up for 30 minutes.
What does UFAC stand for?
UFAC stands for Upholstered Furniture Action Council
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of UFAC
We have 3 other meanings of UFAC in our Acronym Attic
- University Financial Aid Application (University of Virginia)
- University of Florida Alumni Association (Gainesville, FL)
- Union des Femmes Architectes de Belgique (French: Union of Women Architects of Belgium)
- Utvalg for Akuttmedisinsk Beredskap (Norwegian: Selection for acute medical emergency)
- United Front Against Bad Gifts (Missouri Lottery)
- Underground Facility Analysis Center
- Unity for a Change
- Universidade Federal do Acre (Portuguese: Federal University of Acre; Acre, Brazil)
- Unlawful Flight to Avoid Confinement.
- Unsaturated Fatty Acid Acyl Chain (biochemistry)
- Urban Forest Advisory Committee (Dallas, TX)
- Ujima for Africa Development (est. 2000)
- Under Floor Air Distribution (heating and air conditioning system)
- Unit Forecast Authorization Equipment Data
- University of Florida Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-professional honor society)
- Ufficio Federale delle Acque e della Geologia (Federal Office for Water and Geology, Switzerland)
- Ukrainian Federation of American Football
- United Federation Attack Force (gaming)
- United Fighting Arts Federation
- United Front Against Fascism
Samples in periodicals archive:
Furnituremakers formed the Upholstered Furniture Action Council in the late 1970s and drafted a voluntary standard for cigarette ignition resistance.
U is for UFAC, the Upholstered Furniture Action Council.
The industry's voluntary effort, the Upholstered Furniture Action Council (UFAC), covers only smoldering cigarette ignition.
The Suppliers Division has also played an active role with the Upholstered Furniture Action Council in the development of voluntary guidelines for the industry concerning flammability issues for fabric and foam.
Back then, CPSC went so far as to issue draft standard, but the action was essentially halted when a coalition of furniture manufacturers known as the Upholstered Furniture Action Council (UFAC) developed a voluntary industry standard to address the issue.
The Upholstered Furniture Action Council, which supports the bill, says there are now 15 patents registered with self-extinguishing features.
Since 1978, when the industry created the voluntary Upholstered Furniture Action Council standard, upholstery fire deaths caused by smoldering cigarettes have dropped more than 78 percent.