To meet the requirements of the Search and Rescue merit badge, Scouts must complete a series of nine requirements relating to SAR fundamentals such as: * The process and safety methods of working around specialized teams such as aircraft, canine, and aquatic rescue teams * Identifying differences between search and rescue environments, such as coastal, wilderness, rural, and urban landscapes * Determining when Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) and latitude and longitude (Lat/Lon) should be used As an active SAR volunteer and former associate director of program (once responsible for backcountry operations) at Philmont Scout Ranch, one of the BSA's four high-adventure bases, Doug Palmer fully understands the importance of learning these skills.
What does UTM stand for?
UTM stands for Universal Transverse Mercator (cartography; also seen as UTMS)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of UTM
We have 92 other meanings of UTM in our Acronym Attic
- Unidad de Tecnología Marina (Marine Tecnology Unit)
- Unified Threat Management
- Union des Travailleurs de Mauritania (French: Mauritanian Workers Union)
- Union Technique de la Mutualité Malienne (Mali)
- Unit Training Management
- Unit Training Manager
- Universal Test Message
- Universal Testing Machine (materials stress testing)
- Universal Transaction Monitor (telecommunications)
- Universal Transport Medium
- Universal Turing Machine
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (University of Technology Malaysia)
- University of Technology, Mauritius
- University of Tennessee at Martin
- University of Texas Medical School (Houston)
- University of Toronto at Mississauga (Canada)
- Unsuccessful Transmission Message
- Unusable Time (Loran-C System)
- Urchin Traffic Monitor (website visitor tracking software)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Azimuth of the facing slope was recorded as was Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates of the initiating point.
The Santiam Pass Winter Recreation Map, drawn at a scale of two inches to the mile, is marked off in Universal Transverse Mercator 1,000-meter grids.
3 include broader support for mapping locations in Canada and the United Kingdom and conversion of Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates to traditional longitude/latitude positioning.
The TSCD must be initialized with a universal transverse mercator (UTM) and a 10-digit grid with altitude.
The operator will be able to print the "Desired Effects" and " Rationale" fields plus the ASL with latitude-longitude grid coordinates instead of Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM).
Land- based users will also benefit from the receiver's Universal Transverse Mercator compatibility.
The surveyor can convert the geographic coordinates to Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) and then establish a survey control point (SCP).