The arrests and charges came amid nationwide protests and violent clashes between riot police and protestors from the opposition United People's Movement (UPM) coalition in the capital of the ex-Soviet republic.
What does UPM stand for?
UPM stands for United People's Movement
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of UPM
We have 90 other meanings of UPM in our Acronym Attic
- Under Pressure Music (rock band)
- Unidad de Política Migratoria (Spanish: Migration Policy Unit; Mexico)
- Unified Policy Management (software)
- Union for a Popular Movement (France)
- Union pour La Méditerranée (French: Union for the Mediterranean; est. 2008)
- Union Pour Monaco (French: Union for Monaco)
- Union Progressiste Mauritanienne
- Union Progressiste Melanesienne (New Caledonia)
- Unit Production Manager (film and video production)
- United Paper Mills Ltd.
- United Professors of Marin (AFT local 1610)
- Units Per eM
- Universal Password Manager (software)
- Universal Port with Modem Tester
- Universal Project Milestone (US VA)
- Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
- Universiti Putra Malaysia
- University of Petroleum and Minerals (Saudi Arabia)
- University of the Philippines - Manila
- University of the Philippines - Mindanao
Samples in periodicals archive:
It comes a day after the United People's Movement - a coalition of the country's main opposition groups, promised nationwide anti-government protests this week.
The arrests, which included former parliament speaker Omurbek Tekebayev and three others, came ahead of nationwide protests planned for Wednesday by the opposition United People's Movement (UPM), rights activist Toktaim Umetaliyeva told AFP.
He was widely expected to win re-election, but the the landslide nature of the victory in a race that had been tightly contested by United People's Movement candidate Almazbek Atambayev is certain to spark further allegations of electoral fraud from the opposition.
The opposition United People's Movement has grown increasingly restive following a string of arrests against its leaders and other incidents that Bakiyev's critics say are designed to remove potential rivals ahead of the election.
Atambayev, who as the candidate of the United People's Movement opposition coalition had been seen as Bakiyev's most serious challenger, earlier called the vote "illegitimate" and promised street protests.
The OSCE said it had 280 observers in Kyrgyzstan monitoring Thursday's vote, in which Bakiyev's main challenger was Almazbek Atambayev, the candidate of the United People's Movement opposition coalition.
The United People's Movement opposition coalition has accused Bakiyev of employing violence and intimidation against his political opponents, and has vowed protests should its candidate, Almazbek Atambayev, lose.