Police detained Hakainde Hichilema, head of the United Party for National Development (UPND), in the tourist town of Livingstone 540 kilometres (336 miles) south of the capital Lusaka, according to party spokesman Cornelius Mweetwa.
What does UPND stand for?
UPND stands for United Party for National Development (Zambia)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
- User Principal Name (Microsoft Windows 2000)
- União de População do Norte de Angola (Union of the Populations of North Angola)
- Union of the Peoples of Northern Angola
- Union of the Populations of Northern Angola
- Union Park Neighborhood Association
- United Professional Nurses Association
- Universidad Publica de Navarra (Spain)
- University Park Neighborhood Association (Ohio)
- Union of Psychiatric Nurses of British Columbia (Canada)
- United Physicians of Northern Colorado
- University Press of New England
- University of Papua New Guinea
- Unionist Party of Northern Ireland
- Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia (Malaysia)
- Universal Plug and Play (Microsoft)
- Unlawful Possession of Narcotic Paraphernalia (law; Tucson, AZ)
- Universal Plug and Play Forum
- Unit Possessed Not Reported
- Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society
- Ulster Place-Name Society (UK)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Sata had hoped to clinch the election by forming an alliance with the minority United Party for National Development, but their deal collapsed in March amid a leadership squabble in 1964.
In polls held on Thursday, the MMD lost one of two parliamentary seats to the opposition alliance comprising the Patriotic Front (PF) and third largest party in parliament, the United Party for National Development (UPND).
United Party for National Development vice-president Sakwiba Sikota said the government has a socio-economic responsibility to participate in strategic areas of the economy.
He said the PF's chances diminished when its alliance with the minority United Party for National Development (UPND's term after his death -- was decided by just two percentage points.
Sata's party had teamed up with the smaller United Party for National Development (UPND on graft charges, when Banda disbanded the corruption busters who had brought the case to trial.
He said Banda's main challengers in the 2011 polls, opposition Patriot Front president Michael Sata and Hakainde Hichilema, leader of the smaller United Party for National Development, would "destroy the nation because they don't have the heart for the country".
The Patriotic Front (PF) and the United Party for National Development (UPND) did not disclose exactly what violations they allege took place after the late president Levy Mwanawasa fell ill, when Banda was acting president.