His late great-grandfather, Hazelton Bowden, who lived in Maine, served during World War II on the Navy's Underwater Demolition Teams, the precursor to today's SEALs.
What does UDT stand for?
UDT stands for Underwater Demolition Team (US Navy SEALs)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of UDT
We have 45 other meanings of UDT in our Acronym Attic
- Urban Design Studies Unit (University of Strathclyde; Glasgow, Scotland, UK)
- Uniformly Distributed Safe Working Load (construction design)
- U Die Today (gaming clan)
- UDP (User Datagram Protocol)-Based Data Transfer (computer networking)
- Ujian Darjah Tiga (Malaysia)
- Unarmed Drill Team
- Under Deck Tonnage
- Under Declaration of Trust
- Underage Drinking Taskforce
- Undersea Defence Technology (conference)
- Undescended Testicles
- União Democrática Timorense (Timor Democratic Union, East Timor)
- Uniform Data Transfer (COM-based technologies)
- Union des Travailleurs (French: Union Workers)
- Unit Data Message (SS7)
- United Dominions Trust Ltd (UK)
- Universal Data Translator (modeling and simulation)
- Unstructured Data Structure
- Upper Dublin Township (Pennsylvania)
- Uridine Diphosphate-N-Acetylgulucosamine Transferase
Samples in periodicals archive:
Prior to President Kennedy's initiation of the SEALs (Sea Air and Land Teams), the amphibious warriors were known as Underwater Demolition Teams and were trained in Oceanside, California.
McRaven has commanded at every level within the special operations community, including assignments as deputy commanding general for operations at JSOC, Commodore of Naval Special Warfare Group 1, Commander of SEAL Team 3, task group commander in the CENTCOM area of responsibility, task unit commander during the Gulf War, squadron commander at Naval Special Warfare Development Group, and SEAL platoon commander at Underwater Demolition Team 21/SEAL Team 4.
From surviving his time as a prisoner of the Germans, to his acclaimed wartime service disarming enemy bombs and establishing bomb disposal schools, to the underwater demolition teams he led at Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa, America's First Frogman is an amazing true story of skill, courage, dedication, high standards, and excellence under extreme pressure.
Starting with the famed Underwater Demolition Teams of WW II, the Navy trained its frogmen in all forms of land warfare, and then taught them to parachute into action, anywhere and anytime.
Navy Underwater Demolition Team adopted their diving tactics and equipment during the post-war period.
The Navy use of underwater demolition teams in partisan support was the first form of special operations missions for Navy swimmers.
The fourth strategy involves training underwater demolition teams.