The instrument, called the Ozone Mapping Profiler Suite (OMPS), is based on previous instruments, such as the Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) and the Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet instrument (SBUV/2).
What does TOMS stand for?
TOMS stands for Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (ADEOS/NASDA)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of TOMS
We have 26 other meanings of TOMS in our Acronym Attic
- Test, Operations and Maintenance Requirements and Specifications
- Time Oriented Medical Record Unit
- Tour of the Mississippi River Valleys (bicycle tour; Dubuque, IA)
- Tactical Oceanographic Monitoring System
- Task Order Management System
- Team Oriented Medical Simulation
- Technical Order Management System (USAF)
- Three Oaks Middle School (Dyersburg, TN)
- Total Ozone Mapping Experiment Spectrometer (meteorology; Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Climate Research Facility; US Department of Energy)
- Total Ozone Mapping Spectrolab
- Total Ozone Mapping System
- Trade Order Management System
- Transactions On Mathematical Software
- Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer - Earth Probe
- Traffic Operations and Management Standing Committee (Canada)
- Theater of Operations Medical Support System
- Tip of My Tongue
- Transparent Online Memory Test
- Top of Michigan Trails Council
- Transmission of Matter Through Interstitial Time (Doctor Who movie)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The instrument, called the Ozone Mapping Profiler Suite (OMPS), is based on previous instruments, such as the Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) and the Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet instrument (SBUV/2), which have flown on multiple satellites.
Using a powerful image analysis tool developed for education, participants in the workshop will examine global sea surface temperature (SST), ocean color, Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS), Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI), and other data to reach conclusions about what the data reveal.
The air samples with high levels of microbes were collected on the days that NASAs Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer satellite instrument observed the African dust sweeping into the region, indicating that the microbes had been transported from Africa.
Paul Newman, who operates the Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer mounted on a NASA satellite, said they expected a big hole this year but not this huge.
Referencing NASA's work to protect Earth's ozone layer as a great example of long-term success, Jones noted, "NASA's Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer provided space-based images of the ozone hole that sparked concern worldwide and prompted the international treaty known as the Montreal Protocol.
The lowest ozone concentrations above Antarctica this year measured 111 Dobson units, according to data collected by the Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) on NASA's recently launched Earth Probe satellite.
OMPS will monitor ozone from space, collect total column and vertical profile ozone data, and continue the current daily global data provided by the Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet radiometer (SBUV)/2 and Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS), but with higher fidelity.