The Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant (Thorp) at Sellafield in Cumbria, which employs around 800 workers, is to close in 2018 after current contracts are completed, it was confirmed yesterday.
What does THORPE stand for?
THORPE stands for Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant
This definition appears rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- The Hotel on Rivington (New York)
- Thermal Oxidation Reduction
- Thickness from Offbeam Returns (airborne detection system)
- Tiered Hierarchy Overlayed Research
- Total House Waste Recycling (Italy)
- Trails Have Our Respect
- The Historic Oval Racing Association (car club)
- Tun Hussein Onn Renewal Awards
- Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant
- Titanium Hollow-Screw Osseointegrating Reconstruction Plate (radiation)
- The Observing System Research and Predictability Experiment (World Meteorological Organization)
- True Hearts of Rottweiler Rescue
- Thermal Hydraulic Out-of-Reactor Safety
- The Hidden Object Show (online game)
- The House Of Strange Dimensions (Subreality Cafe)
- The Hissing of Summer Lawns (Joni Mitchell album)
- The Hoe Over There
- Trans-Hudson Orogen Transect (Canada)
- Turbo Hydramatic Oxidation Test
Samples in periodicals archive:
Richard Matthews, prosecuting, said the first indication of a leak at the Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant (Thorp) was on August 24, 2004 when 50 grams of uranium was detected following a sample test.
No one was injured and no radioactive material escaped into the atmosphere after the leak at the Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant (Thorp) part of the site.
Earlier projects were the Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant (THORP) and the Waste Packaging and Encapsulation Plant (WPEP).
The Health and Safety Executive's nuclear installations inspectorate carried out a detailed investigation into a leak of radioactive liquid inside the thermal oxide reprocessing plant in Cumbria.