To find out if a service provider is a corporation, have them complete IRS Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.
What does TIN stand for?
TIN stands for Taxpayer Identification Number
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of TIN
We have 69 other meanings of TIN in our Acronym Attic
- Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve (US National Park Service)
- Technologie in Medizin Und Gesundheitswesen (German: Technology in Medicine and Healthcare Association; Bonn, Germany)
- Turkish International Model United Nations
- Transportation, Inventory, Movement, Waiting, Overproduction, Over-Processing, Defects (production mneumonic)
- This Inquiring Mind Wants to Know
- Transplant Information Management System
- Tactical Intelligence Network (USFK specific)
- Task Implementation Notice
- Tax Identification Number
- Tax Information Number
- Technical Interoperability Network
- Tele-Electronic Identification Number
- Telecentro de Informações e Negócios (Portugese, Brasil)
- Telecom Italia Net (Italian internet service provider)
- Temporary Identification Number
- Terminal Indicate Number
- Testicular Intraepithelial Neoplasia
- Texas Innocence Network (University of Houston; Houston, TX)
- The Imperial Navy (Pardus Game)
- The Iris Network (various organizations)
Samples in periodicals archive:
If such a payment is subject to information reporting, and the payee has not certified his or her taxpayer identification number (TIN) on Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (or certain other conditions exist), the payer must perform "backup" withholding at 28%.
The acknowledgment must include the donor's name and taxpayer identification number (typically, his or her Social Security number), the vehicle identification number, a statement certifying that the car was sold in an arm's-length transaction, the amount of gross proceeds from the sale and a statement that the donor may not deduct more than the gross proceeds from the sale.
Interactive Taxpayer Identification Number Matching--Interactive Taxpayer Identification Number Matching (TIN Matching) is a new, pre-filing service offered to banks or others that pay income subject to backup withholding.
Foreign Investor Rule #1: A foreign partner must obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service.
An ATIN is an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number issued by the IRS as a temporary taxpayer identification number for the child in a domestic adoption where the adopting taxpayers do not have and/or are unable to obtain the child's Social Security Number (SSN).
Exhibit (20)(10)00-7: TIN Validation Exhibit (20)(10)00-7 provides an explanation of the taxpayer identification number (TIN) validation process.
If a legal resident with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) meets all of the qualifications, they too are able to retroactively claim the EITC for a period of up to three years once they receive their valid Social Security number.