The Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System program provides sustainment and logistics management for all installed antisubmarine warfare mission systems, including passive and active surveillance equipment and computer network systems.
What does SURTASS stand for?
SURTASS stands for Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Surveillance Utilization Review System
- Surveillance Satellite
- State University Retirement System of Illinois
- Small Unit Remote Scouting System
- Sarcoidosis of the Upper Respiratory Tract
- School Union Representative Training Program (Canada)
- Simple Unprepared Reaction Time
- Southampton University Racing Team
- Surveillance & Tactical
- Surveillance Towed Array System
- Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System Low Frequency Active
- Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System/Escort Towed Array System
- Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System/Low Frequency Active
- Small Urban and Rural Transit Center (North Dakota State University)
- Surface Temperature and Humidity Reference System for Sondes
- Surface Training Management Planning System
- Serum, Urine and Ultrasound Screening Study
- Sport Utility Recreation Vehicle (RV with a rear ramp)
Samples in periodicals archive:
In 1985, the Navy established the Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System (SURTASS) Low Frequency Active (LFA) sonar program to develop a long-range capability for detecting a new generation of quieter Soviet nuclear and diesel submarines operating principally in the open ocean.
The full name of this submarine detection system is the Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System Low Frequency Active Sonar (SURTASS LFAS), often referred to simply as LFA.