The disease can also cause a serious brain complication known as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE), which is fatal.
What does SSPE stand for?
SSPE stands for Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SSPE
We have 19 other meanings of SSPE in our Acronym Attic
- Site Specific Performance Demonstration
- Society for Stimulus Properties of Drugs (UK)
- Superconducting Single-Photon Detector
- Secondary Structure Prediction by Deviation Parameter
- Small Shelter Patient Decontamination System
- Speech Sound Pattern Discrimination Test
- Simple Security Policy Editor (distributed firewall with a central ASCII administration)
- Source Synchronous Pin Electronics (device to test synchronous parallel differential high-speed buses)
- Split-Step Parabolic Equation
- State Scientific-Production Enterprise (Ukraine)
- Sun Sports and Entertainment, Inc. (Addison, TX)
- Sport Science, Physical Education and Dance Department (Idaho State University; Pocatello, ID)
- Severe Storm Prediction, Education and Evacuation from Disaster Center
- Site-Specific Practice Effects Worksheet
- Saturn Site Production Flow (car production)
- Secondary Specific Pathogen-Free (veterinary research)
- Sequential Sampling Particle Filter
- Space Station Processing Facility
- Special Situation Property Fund (real estate; Canada)
- Sunflower Seed Protein Fraction
Samples in periodicals archive:
This finding suggests that virus might persist in a noninfectious mutant form analogous to that which occurs with related measles virus during subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (74).
[FIGURE 12 OMITTED] Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE) Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE) is a rare, measles-mediated encephalitis associated with progressive neurologic deterioration and death.
Neuroprogressive disease of postinfectious origin: a review of a resurging subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE).
It has been shown that MV induces mitochondrial structural abnormalities in dendrites during persistent infection of the brain termed subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE)28 and also has been associated with apoptosis.
Susanne Prendergast got measles when she was just two - but it was eight years before she started to show signs of the rare measles-relatebrain disorder Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis in the summer of 1982.
Some sufferers have even been known to develop a progressive and fatal brain infection known as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, which may not develop until years after the bout of measles.
Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and chorioretinitis.