On 18 January, 2012 hundreds of websites went black in protest at the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) Protest IP Act (PIPA) including high profile domains such as Google, Wikipedia, Reddit and WordPress.
What does SOPA stand for?
SOPA stands for Stop Online Piracy Act
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of SOPA
We have 33 other meanings of SOPA in our Acronym Attic
- Selanik Ozel Pedagoji Akademisi
- Senior Officer Present Afloat (US Navy; US DoD)
- Socialist Party of Azania (South Africa)
- Society of Professional Archeologists
- South of Pandosy Street (area in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada)
- Southern Oregon Photographic Association (Medford, OR)
- Space-Only Power Allocation
- Standard Operating Procedure Amplified (aviation)
- State of Play Academy (legal technology community)
- State of the Province Address (various locations)
- Student Oral Proficiency Assessment
- Studio of Performing Arts (Arroyo Grande, CA)
- Supporters of Performing Arts
- Supporters of the Performing Arts, Inc. (Estes Park, CO, USA)
- Sydney Olympic Park Authority (Australia)
- Synchronous-Orbit Particle Analyzer
- Southern Ohio Performing Arts Association (Portsmouth, OH)
- Pacific Islands Applied Geoscience Commission
- Scripps Orbit and Permanent Array Center
- Society for Public Access Computing (Cleveland, OH)
Samples in periodicals archive:
many activists and tech companies opposed the controversial copyright enforcement bills, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA), and they were killed as a result, the study noted.
The genesis of the organization began in 2011, when many of the i2Coalition s founding and charter members joined forces during the successful effort to prevent Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA) from becoming law.
Thus, the content industry lobbied hard for extreme copyright legislation (the United States Digital Millennium Copyright Act), blocked distribution through providers who "authorized" infringements, such as YouTube, and supported the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.
Google, Wikipedia, Craigslist and others coordinated efforts on "Black-out Day" to protest Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect IP Act, which currently reside in the House of Representatives and Senate, respectively.
com)-- Company warns proposed Internet censorship legislation will eliminate free web hosting HostPulse, a leading provider of unlimited web hosting, has announced its opposition to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), a piece of proposed legislation currently under debate in the House of Representatives.
The Scottish Organic Producers' Association have the same initials as the Stop Online Piracy Act, which aimed to bolster copyright laws in the States.
Limit toxic eWaste exports While the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) wasn't the most well thought out legislative direction from US lawmakers, another bill is something that the entire world should support.