The following year the Southern corn leaf blight claimed 15% of the American harvest, causing losses estimated at $2 billion and raising prices by 20%.
What does SCLB stand for?
SCLB stands for Southern Corn Leaf Blight
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SCLB
We have 2 other meanings of SCLB in our Acronym Attic
- Supply Chain Leaders in Action (business forum)
- Sustainable Communities Leadership Academy (various locations)
- Syrian Clinical Laboratory Association (Syria)
- Supply Chain and Logistics Association of Australia
- Standing Committee on Legal Aid and Indigent Defendants (American Bar Association)
- State Council-Legislative Affairs Office (China)
- South County Large Animal Rescue (Somerset, CA)
- South Central Los Angeles Regional Center
- So-Called Liberal Blogosphere
- Southern Corn Leaf Beetle (insect)
- Standard Cab Long Bed (pickup truck)
- State Contractors License Board
- Sweetwater County Library Board (Wyoming)
- John A. Shelburne Computer Learning Center
- San Carlos Lacrosse Club
- Sarapiqui Conservation Learning Center (Costa Rica)
- SCCP Connectionless Control (ANSI)
- School of Comparative Languages and Culture (Devi Ahilya University)
- Schultz Collins Lawson Chambers (various locations)
- Scientific Computing Laboratory Communication
Samples in periodicals archive:
Three diseases, southern corn leaf blight, northern leaf blight, and gray leaf spot, all cause lesions on corn leaves.
According to Greenpeace, crop genetic diversity is "essential for global food security" and a lack of it can be linked to many of the major crop epidemics in human history, including the Southern corn leaf blight in the U.
But when the Southern Corn Leaf Blight epidemic of 1970 devastated his crop, Martin was given an entirely different gift: the county extension agent sat him down and explained the genetics of resistance, and in a moment of clarity, a career was born.
The important point to remember is that we must be prepared to respond immediately and appropriately, as in the Southern Corn Leaf Blight example.
They have also been shown to possess other commercially desirable corn traits, including resistance to southern corn leaf blight and southern corn rust.
But reliance on a single source of hybrid onion seed could lead to a disastrous scenario in onions similar to the epidemic of southern corn leaf blight on corn in 1970.