Williamson was one of four bishops in the Society of Saint Pius X whose 1988 excommunications were lifted by Pope Benedict XVI in January 2009, as part of the pope's effort to reconcile with the schismatic group.
What does SSPX stand for?
SSPX stands for Society of Saint Pius X (international priestly society)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of SSPX
- Satisfiability Solvers and Program Verification
- Scram Solenoid Pilot Valve
- Society of St. Pius V (organization of traditional Catholic priests)
- Spanish System of Pharmacovigilance
- Sixth Sense Processware, Inc. (Ontario, Canada)
- Southampton Special Purpose Workshop (UK)
- Southern Style Pro Wrestling (Eton, GA)
- Space Solar Power Workshop (Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA)
- Student Services/Prevention and Wellness (Madison, WI)
- Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction
- Sustained Spheromak Physics Experiment (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
- La Sarre, Quebec, Canada (Airport Code)
- Schedule Sales Query (US General Services Administration)
- Shilakowsky String Quartet
- Shilton Sharpe Quarry (various locations)
- Society for Software Quality
- Space Station Quality
- Special Skills Qualification
- Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Scale (audiology)
- Standardized Safety Questionnaire
Samples in periodicals archive:
In January 2009, in the hope that all members of the Society of Saint Pius X would return to full communion with the Catholic Church, Pope Benedict lifted the excommunications--with little effect on the Society of Saint Pius X but with strong challenges emerging from both within and outside the Church.
The bishop is currently believed to to be staying with fellow priests at the offices of the Society of Saint Pius X in the leafy southwest London suburb of Wimbledon.
The Italian chapter of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X earlier February announced it had cut ties with Italian Father Floriano Abrahamowicz after he criticized the Vatican and said gas chambers were used for "disinfecting.
Membership in these organizations or groups is always perilous to the Catholic Faith and most often is totally incompatible with the Catholic Faith: "Planned Parenthood; Society of Saint Pius X (Lefebvre Group); Hemlock Society; Call to Action; Call to Action Nebraska; Saint Michael the Archangel Chapel; Freemasons (Job's Daughters; DeMolay; Eastern Star; Rainbow Girls); Catholics for a Free Choice.
The uproar began when Pope Benedict on January 24 lifted the excommunication of Williamson and three other members of the breakaway Society of Saint Pius X, which rejects the liberal Vatican reforms in the early 1960s.
The Italian chapter of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X on Friday announced it had cut ties with Father Floriano Abrahamowicz -- who was in charge of the group's activities in northeastern Italy -- after he criticised the Vatican and said gas chambers were used for "disinfecting.
Fellay's Swiss-based Priestly Society of Saint Pius X said in statements released on the Internet that it welcomed the prospect of direct "interviews" with the Vatican.